Apply for a wish
Do you know a critically ill child who could benefit from a life-changing Wish Journey? We welcome all applications from eligible children, their families and medical teams.
How it works
Hit the ‘Apply’ button and fill in the online application form with details about your child, family and medical situation. Please note, this should take around 10 minutes to complete and is for administration purposes only – we won’t ask for details of your special wish at this stage.
The Wish team will review your application and check we have all the info we need - if anything's missing, you'll hear from us. As part of our commitment to Child Safety, we also require a parent or legal guardian’s signature at this point, before getting in touch with your medical specialist.
Once we have your consent, we’ll contact your child’s treating medical specialist, as they must approve your application before we can proceed. Please see eligibility below for more info.
Once your application is approved, we’ll work closely with your local Make-A-Wish volunteer branch, your family and broader #WishForce team to capture and bring an incredible wish journey to life – with every wish experience as individual and unique as the child who imagined them!
Who is eligible for a wish?
Make-A-Wish supports children with critical illnesses. To be eligible, a child should be
- aged between 3 and 18 years old
- living in Australia
- experiencing a life-threatening illness or medical condition
Please note, our wishes are not just for children with terminal illnesses – many wish children go on to beat their illnesses and live normal, healthy lives.
See further eligibility criteria information below.
- Make-A-Wish Australia grants wishes to Australian children and teens aged between 3 and 18 years old.
- We accept all applications completed from the child's third birthday, until the day of their 18th birthday - although actual wish experiences may still take place after this time.
- Younger children are eligible to receive a wish hamper, which is a selection of age-appropriate toys for children under 3. If the child continues to be medically eligible following their 3rd birthday, they can also apply for a wish journey from this time.
- Make-A-Wish grants wishes to children experiencing a life-threatening condition or illness.
- We accept all applications for life-threatening medical conditions which include, but are not restricted to: leukaemia and other childhood cancers, cystic fibrosis, certain types of muscular dystrophy and cardiac disorders. Please speak with us or contact your doctor for more info.
- Your child’s treating medical specialist has the final say on medical eligibility, and must approve your application before we can proceed. We will do our best to facilitate this as quickly as possible and let you know when your doctor has given us approval.
- In fairness to the many hundreds of sick kids who apply each year, a child who has previously received a wish from us*, or any other wish-granting organisation (including Starlight Foundation), isn't eligible.
*Wish hamper recipients are an exception.
Wish children whose images feature on this page:
Dara, 7, Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma - I wish for the ultimate puppy experience.