Make-A-Wish creates life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. Our mission is to grant the wish of every eligible child – a quest sparked by the belief that a wish is integral to a child’s treatment.
Make-A-Wish is one of Australia’s most trusted charities and part of largest wish-granting organisation in the world.
- We are the only registered Australian charity focusing exclusively on wishes.
- We have been granting wishes in Australia since 1985 – from the very first wish by 16-year old Shawn, who battled Duchenne muscular dystrophy, to see his favourite footy team live in action.
A wish is not a fleeting gift - each child's Wish Journey is carefully planned and delivered over several stages to create a positive, lasting impact.
- Wishes are designed to complement a child's medical treatment, working to calm, distract and inspire at a time they need it most.
- When a wish is realised, a child discovers that despite their situation, anything is possible.
- In this way, wishes deliver both an immediate boost and long lasting effect on the lives of sick kids, their families and communities.
More than 30 years of feedback from wish families, along with a growing body of international research, shows that wishes give kids with critical illness greater strength and hope for their future.
Don't just take our word for it - watch the video to experience the goose-bump-inducing, life-changing power of a wish.
We need your help
In Australia today, the latest medical guidelines suggest more than 9,500 children have a life-threatening illness*. Thousands more are born or diagnosed with serious illnesses each year, for example:
- Around 3,000 babies are born with a heart condition each year (health.gov.au)
- One in every 2,500 births produces a child with cystic fibrosis (cysticfybrosis.org.au)
- 950 children and adolescents are diagnosed with cancer (Children's Cancer Institute)
While many children eventually go on to lead normal, healthy lives, everyday childhood experiences can easily get lost during the fight to survive.
As one of Australia's Top 20 most trusted charities*, we work in partnership with sick children, their families and medical teams to design and deliver wish experiences that are as unique as the children who imagine them.
No two wishes are alike - but every wish is life-changing, not only for the kids themselves, but also their family, friends and community.
Find out more about our vision, mission and values.
*Australian Charity Reputation Index, December 2018 & 2019
Join the #WishForce
With more than 700 families currently on a Wish Journey, we rely on the generosity and support of our local volunteers, partners and communities to bring wishes to life.
Please, help us make a lasting impact by donating, volunteering or supporting us today.
Together, we can give seriously ill children the anticipation and legacy of one true wish – helping them discover anything is possible.
For more information, visit the Australian Charities and Not- For-Profits Commission website.
Wish children whose images feature on this page:
Fraser, 6, rhabdomyosarcoma - I wish for a black baby dog named Ziggy.
Aedan, 10, cerebral palsy - I wish to feel the wind in my face and different motions .
Dara, 7, Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma - I wish for the ultimate puppy experience.
Archie, 6, congenital heart disease - I wish to be Australia’s newest Cricket Captain.
Audrey, 6, retinoblastoma - I wish to go to the snow in my own rocket.