Happy World Wish Day!
29 April is World Wish Day and this year, Make-A-Wish will celebrate more than 500,000 wishes granted all over the world - and 35 years in Australia!
29 April 2021
What is World Wish Day?
In 1980, our friends at Make-A-Wish America granted the very first wish for 7 year old Chris Greicius – sparking what's since become the global wish-granting movement we know and love today.
On 29 April, Make-A-Wish chapters all over the world celebrate World Wish Day, recalling Chris’ wish and the half a million wishes we've granted together since - with many more yet to come:
- Around the world, a wish is granted every 16 minutes to a child with a life-threatening illness.
- At Make-A-Wish Australia, we're celebrating 35 years and over 10,000 incredible wishes.
- Following the impact of COVID, we’ve seen a 30% increase in the number of children who need our support.
- Wishes only come true thanks to generous support from people like you. Now more than ever, we need your help.
Celebrate with us
If you've ever had a wish, or played a part in a wish child's special journey, you know how extraordinary and unforgettable that experience is. You can help us celebrate World Wish Day by sharing your story:
- Post a picture, video or live stream on your favourite socials, explaining what your wish experience meant and the lasting impact it's had for you
- Make a Happy World Wish Day sign to post on your socials
Be sure to tag @MakeAWishAust and so we can share and interact with your content.
- Want to get right into the wish spirit? Why not Wear What You Wish! Dressing up and making wishes come true has never been so much fun.