Happy World Wish Day!
29 April is World Wish Day and this year, Make-A-Wish will celebrate more than 500,000 wishes granted all over the world - and 35 years in Australia!
29 April 2021
What is World Wish Day?
In 1980, our friends at Make-A-Wish America granted the very first wish for 7 year old Chris Greicius – sparking what's since become the global wish-granting movement we know and love today.
On 29 April, Make-A-Wish chapters all over the world celebrate World Wish Day, recalling Chris’ wish and the half a million wishes we've granted together since - with many more yet to come:
- Around the world, a wish is granted every 16 minutes to a child with a life-threatening illness.
- At Make-A-Wish Australia, we're celebrating 35 years and over 10,000 incredible wishes.
- Following the impact of COVID, we’ve seen a 30% increase in the number of children who need our support.
- Wishes only come true thanks to generous support from people like you. Now more than ever, we need your help.
Donate to make more inspirational wishes come true
Celebrate with us
If you've ever had a wish, or played a part in a wish child's special journey, you know how extraordinary and unforgettable that experience is. You can help us celebrate World Wish Day by sharing your story:
- Post a picture, video or live stream on your favourite socials, explaining what your wish experience meant and the lasting impact it's had for you
- Make a Happy World Wish Day sign to post on your socials
Be sure to tag @MakeAWishAust and so we can share and interact with your content.
- Want to get right into the wish spirit? Why not Wear What You Wish! Dressing up and making wishes come true has never been so much fun.